Note: (a) “Customs Duty” means the customs duty levied under the Customs Act, 1962.
(b) “CVD” means the Additional Duty of Customs levied under sub-section (1) of section 3 of the Customs Tariff Act, 1975.
(c) “SAD” means the Special Additional Duty of Customs levied under sub-section (5) of section 3 of the Customs Tariff Act, 1975.
Changes come into effect immediately unless otherwise specified.
Major proposals about customs duties are the following:
- The First Schedule to the Customs Tariff Act, 1975 is being amended vide Clause 57 of the Bill to give effect to the tariff changes relating to the Union Customs Duties.
- The basic customs duty rates of 2%, 2.5% and 3% are being unified at the median rate of 2.5%.
B. Proposals involving changes in rates of duty, whether by amendment of tariff rates or by notification
I. FOOD/AGRO PROCESSING/AGRICULTURE:
- Basic customs duty is being reduced from 5% to 2.5% on specified agriculture machinery namely paddy transplanter, laser land leveler, cotton picker, reaper-cum-binder, straw or fodder balers, sugarcane harvesters and track used for manufacture of track-type combine harvester.
- Basic customs duty is being reduced from 7.5% to 2.5% on parts and components required for the manufacture of equipment at (1) above.
- Basic customs duty is being reduced from 7.5% to 5% on micro-irrigation equipment (tariff item 8424 8100).
Read complete Memorandum of Finance Bill 2011 as below :-