Income Tax :- Precautions in mind filing the Indian Income Tax Return
Following is the list of few important steps/points/precautions to be kept in mind while filing the return of income:
- The first and foremost precaution is to file the return of income on or before the due date. Taxpayers should avoid the practice of filing belated return. Following are the consequences of delay in filing the return of income :
- Loss (other than house property loss) cannot be carried forward.
- Levy of interest under section 234A.
- Penalty of Rs. 5,000 under section 271F can be levied.
- Exemptions/deductions under section 10A, section 10B, 80-IA, 80-IAB, 80-IB, 80-IC , 80-ID and 80-IE are not available.
- Belated return cannot be revised under section 139(5).
- Taxpayer should download Form 26AS and should confirm actual TDS/TCS/Tax paid. If any discrepancy is observed then suitable action should be taken to reconcile it.
- Compile and carefully study the documents to be used while filing the return of income like bank statement/passbook, interest certificate, investment proofs for which deductions is to be claimed, books of account and balance sheet and P/L A/c (if applicable), etc. No documents are to be attached along with the return of income.
- The taxpayer should identify the correct return form applicable in his case.
- Carefully provide all the information in the return form.
- Confirm the calculation of total income, deductions (if any), interest (if any), tax liability/refund, etc.
- If any tax is payable as per the return of income, then the same should be paid before filing the return of income, otherwise return would be treated as defective return.
- Ensure that other details like PAN, address, e-mail address, bank account details, etc., are correct.
- After filling all the details in the return of income and after confirmation of all the details, one can proceed with filing the return of income.
- In case return is filed electronically without digital signature do not forget to post the acknowledgement of filing the return of income at CPC Bengaluru (as discussed earlier).